Sunday 17 July 2016

My Very Own Perfect Pergola – Reveal

pergola, garden, outside space, outdoor rooms,

It’s been a while in the making. In fact it’s taken a year. We the BF started it last summer and then the cottage purchase went through and we had to down tools as you can imagine and concentrate on that instead. But now it’s finished and I have my own little bit of heaven in the back yard. If you think heaven’s too strong a word, let me tell you, that I have been dreaming of a shady place to sit outside for as long as I can remember. Even in the old house where I did at least have trees for shade, it was on my wishlist. And then moving to a new build with no garden at all, it became more of a necessity. Somewhere to retreat to when it’s too hot and stuffy to sit in the house. Somewhere to entertain guest in the summer. Just somewhere to sit with a drink for a quiet chat.

pergola, garden, outside space, outdoor rooms,

pergola, garden, outside space, outdoor rooms,

We the BF did manage to get the deck behind the garage done last year, and that did get lots of use, but there was nowhere comfy to sit. So the plan was to create another, adjacent deck, with shade, comfortable seating and partial screening so that we had an element of privacy too. Most pergola kits are square and that wouldn’t have suited the proportions of the space, but in the end we purchased a ‘walkway’ kit instead. It’s designed to provide an arch over a path, but with a little adaptation it was the perfect shape. The deck was built underneath it, and we’ve used reed screening across the top and down the back to give us the shade and privacy we need. It doesn’t block out the sun entirely, but provides a lovely dappled effect. Eventually the climbers will grow and provide shade too, but for now it looks perfect.

pergola, garden, outside space, outdoor rooms,

I chose a 3-seater Ikea sofa with black cushions and it’s really comfortable. Perfect for two, or three, or better still for one person lying down (not that I ever get much chance of that). There isn’t much room left for other furniture, so I bought a rustic wooden bench, that doubles as a coffee table and a place to put your feet up. A couple of Moroccan lanterns, some pretty solar fairy lights, some potted plants and we were almost finished.

Dear Designer's Perfect Pegola Reveal [6]

pergola, garden, outside space, outdoor rooms,

That was, until Wayfair suggested I might like to choose a few accessories to really finish it off.  I couldn’t resist the leaf print cushions. They lend an exotic air to the space that reminds me of summer holidays, and in the winter they can come into the house and remind me of holidays all year round. I also chose a zinc oval planter and serving tray. The planter is now full of herbs that not only look good but smell divine. And the tray is perfect for an indoor/outdoor role with it’s knotty rope handles. Lastly, I chose some faux pot plants. They help to add an even more tropical vibe around the sofa until I get my green fingers going, and again, they can come into the house later.

Dear Designer's Perfect Pegola Reveal [2]

pergola, garden, outside space, outdoor rooms,

And what great timing! The weather is looking very promising this week, so I’m looking forward to relaxing on that sofa, in the dappled shade, drink in hand, while someone else slaves over the hot coals of the barbecue.

pergola, garden, outside space, outdoor rooms,



from Dear Designer http://deardesigner.co.uk/my-very-own-perfect-pergola-reveal/

No comments:

Post a Comment