Tuesday 23 August 2016

Weekends, Workshops, Styling and Photography

photography and food styling - a one day workshop

When was the last time you had a really productive weekend? I don’t mean the kind of weekend where you get all the washing and ironing done, plants some bulbs and spend time with some friends. Although that does sound pretty awesome. I don’t even mean the kind of weekend where you did the long overdue tax return and tidied out the garage. Well, I guess those weekends are pretty productive too. No, I mean the kind of weekend where you learned something new, and finally found some time to do something for YOU.

photography and food styling - a one day workshop

Well that was me last weekend.

I did something I have been meaning to do for ages. I signed up for a one day workshop with Carole Poirot (of Mademoiselle Poirot) and Aimee Twigger (of Twigg Studios) to improve my photography and styling skills and be inspired by two lovely ladies in the company of other like-minded students. And improve our skills we did.

flowers, fruit and cake - food styling

You don’t have to be an absolute novice to get something out of a workshop in my opinion. Although, I was determined to actually start using my camera in a way it was designed to be used. I mean, how long can you have an all-singing and all-dancing SLR and keep it in automatic shooting mode? It was more about going over the basics for me, putting it into practice and being inspired by the professionals. And being inspired by my fellow students too, I might add. We were a pretty varied and talented bunch, I’ll have you know.

memories are made of flowers, linen and metal - and a rusty key

I’ve spent so many hours reading the camera manual, watching you-tube videos, and scouring Pinterest for tips on how to be a great photographer, but I learned more in a few hours with Carole and Aimee than in all of those hours put together. I also learned how to decorate a cake so that it looks stunning (I just need to learn how to bake one now – next workshop?), how to arrange a flatlay to challenge the best on Instagram, and tips for putting together a vignette.

Old Masters - an old portrait provides a perfect backdrop for some autumn colours

As if that wasn’t enough, Carole cooked delicious quiches for lunch and of course we devoured that cake.

A special celebration cake, flowers and fruit

I hope the results speak for themselves.

If you would like to find out more about future workshops you can find details at Carole Poirot Workshops.

The post Weekends, Workshops, Styling and Photography appeared first on Dear Designer.



from Dear Designer http://deardesigner.co.uk/weekends-workshops-styling-photography/

No comments:

Post a Comment