Sunday 28 August 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

Morning everyone. I hope you are all well this fine morning. I say it’s a fine morning, I have no idea what the weather will be doing at the point you drop in to read this. In which case let’s amend to – I hope you are feeling fine this morning. Are you ready to stroll through 10 Beautiful Rooms? Coffee? Right then, off we go…

giant wooden handles on kitchen cupboards by whiting architects.com

giant wooden handles on kitchen cupboards by whiting architects.com

This first room is by Whiting Architects and I love the giant wooden handles on the kitchen cupboards, especially that they are different sizes. You can buy them in different colours from Muuto. My business partner (watch this space to find out about madabouttheoffice coming soon) has used them in her bathroom for towels and they look great.

To be honest they look better when the towels aren’t on them as they are so pretty but in our house that wouldn’t be a problem as we live with two teenage boys so things are mainly hung on the floor anyway.

navy blue kitchen cupboards with leather handles via entrance makleri.se

navy blue kitchen cupboards with leather handles via entrance makleri.se 

The other great detail in these kitchens is the leather handles which you an also see above and below – I have included a picture of my own kitchen this week. I bought mine from Superfront  where you can choose from different colours and shapes.

madaboutthehouse.com

madaboutthehouse.com by Dan Lowe for Habitat

The other detail of my kitchen is the open shelving. I am always being asked if it’s practical and the answer is I don’t care! That’s not strictly true – yes there is a bit of dust on the top shelves, which I mainly can’t see so it doesn’t bother me. But for me that is balanced by the beauty of having everything to hand and making a real focal point of the room.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 09.45.20

black shelves and white crockery by derek swalwell

This room above by Derek Swalwell also has black open shelves which look great with all the white crockery on them don’t you think? I love how there is one chair in a different colour too although, obviously, in my house, it would’t be yellow.

Back to Whiting Architects for this room and I find I am completely in love with this soft greyish green colour that is used as an accent with all the black and white and natural wood. Try Pigeon by Farrow and Ball for something similar.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 09.40.16

freestanding bath by derek swalwell interiors

Tongue and groove is another feature of these rooms. I mean yes we can’t all have a bath on a platform as shown above but the plants and pendant lighting are something that we can adopt in our own spaces.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 09.42.53

black walls and fornasetti wallpaper by derek swalwell

Another room with black walls and this just shows you how this shade doesn’t have to make everything dark. Yes there’s a big window but the floor, fireplace and some of the furniture is pale which helps to lift everything. The wallpaper on the right of the image is Mediterranea by Fornasetti available from Cole and Son.

I have never been a great one for pattern, preferring to colour block in a monochrome fashion but these patterned chairs really lift this space don’t you think?

High Road House, Chiswick, part of Soho House

High Road House, Chiswick, part of Soho House

These last two rooms are just visions of simple wooden boards and neutral colours with lots of natural textiles. If you’re nervous about colour or can’t decide what you like then this is a great way to start as you can build up the scheme gradually and introduce colour as you feel more confident. Everything will go when you start with the basics likes this.

EMMA PERSSON LAGERBERG PHOTO PETRA BLINDFOLD

Via Elle Decoration Sweden, styling Emma Persson Lagerberg, photo by Petra Bindel

So there are today’s 10 rooms. I hope you like them.

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://www.madaboutthehouse.com/10-beautiful-rooms-6/

No comments:

Post a Comment