Sunday 14 August 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

Potts Point Apartment designed and photographed by Tom Ferguson

Potts Point Apartment designed and photographed by Tom Ferguson of tfad.com.au

Nothing like a dark and sultry kitchen to kick off a Monday morning. I have always loved kitchens in rooms that clearly weren’t designed to be kitchens. The plasterwork on the ceiling and the complete absence of spotlights make this a real winner for me.

Potts Point Apartment designed and photographed by Tom Ferguson

Potts Point Apartment designed and photographed by Tom Ferguson of tfad.com.au

So much so that we’re having a close up. Just feast yer eyes on that black marble splashback, those inky dark cupboards and that brass tap. If it wasn’t for the fact that it was in Australia, I could move right in.

Especially when you take a look at the bedroom below, which features my favourite wallpaper. It’s by Fornasetti and I have often wondered how it would be in a bedroom as those clouds to look rather stormy to me, but if you fix it behind the bed, as the architect, Tom Ferguson, as done here, you don’t have to see it when you’re in bed. My bedroom is arranged exactly like this; with a wardrobe behind the bed and this image is definitely proving inspirational.

Potts Point Apartment designed and photographed by Tom Ferguson

Potts Point Apartment designed and photographed by Tom Ferguson of tfad.com.au

Next up we’re jetting over to Denmark to the home of Tine K, another of my favourites. I mean, yes it would be hard to go wrong with windows like these I grant you. But it’s the colour palette – very similar to the Australian one above – that floated my boat here. The giant plants help too of course.

Now what about this? This is the Hotel Bachaumont in Paris. I’m still with the navy and white palette here but it’s not at all nautical which is not a look I like. All three of these rooms have used this very restricted palette in very different ways and I love them all.

The hotel is the work of Dorothée Meilichzon who graduated in industrial design in 2004 and now works on hotels, bars and restaurants and oversees everything from the design of the room to the furniture and the graphic elements. I’m definitely heading here next time I go to Paris, even if it’s just for a drink in the bar.

designed by dorothee meilchzon

designed by dorothee meilchzon the hotel bachaumont

The final interpretation of this colour scheme (stick with it it’s about to change dramatically) is this Hackney apartment by Laura Lakin. Black and white with some vintage and some wood just always works.

loft apartment designed by laura lakin

loft apartment designed by laura lakin 

Throw in an internal window and I would definitely like to move in. And let’s face it, from where I’m sitting now it’s a lot closer than Australia. So if the owners of that apartment are reading this don’t panic, you don’t need to move out after all.

Finally, a complete change of pace. This is the home of interior designer Sera Hersham-Loftus whose dreamy romantic style also appeals to me. I love the giant plants in the room below don’t you?

This bedroom is quite intense but I love the black walls and ceiling and the large mirrors and, ahem, gold palm tree would definitely bounce the light around.

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 13.07.37

sera of london little venice

I’m quite taken with the idea of a raw edge table like that too. What do you all think? I bet I can guess…

Join in in the comments below and let’s be hearing you.

 

 

 

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://www.madaboutthehouse.com/10-beautiful-rooms-55/

No comments:

Post a Comment